Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Supercells Photo Gallery by Kelly DeLay


Sister Tornados Under Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Shot of a lifetime for me. Sister tornados from a massive supercell outside of Simla, Colorado. Shot of a lifetime for me. I have been trying to get a shot like this for 6 years."

Hico Supercell // V3 by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Ultra wide version of the tornado warned supercell captured ouside of Hico, Texas. One of the most amazing storms I have seen in all of my years of chasing!"

Double Rainbow with Tornado by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Double Rainbow with Tornado captured outside of Simla, Colorado, June 4, 2015 - 7:30pm. What amazing storm chasing day! Captured sister tornadoes in the same storm system 30 mins earlier. The sun started to come out, then I noticed the rainbows. The main rainbow looked like it was right in my face. Never seen anything like it. I had to get out of my car to get the tornado in the shot. It was hailing (golf ball to pea size) so I put on my helmet, ran to this view and got the shot. Look closely at the streak. That is large hail falling into the refracting light of the rainbow!"

Storm Chasing Family Portrait by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"This was the last image of my Clouds 365 Project. For those of you that don't know me (that would be a lot!) I photographed the sky and posted a shot everyday to www.clouds365.com for 5 Years between 2009-2014. I have been a storm chaser for years, but I never had taken my family out, until June 30, 2014. It has always been important to me to pass on my love of weather to my family, so we decided to chase storms together on the last day of my project. We drove 8 hours from Dallas, TX to Guymon, Oklahoma and caught this amazing supercell at sunset. To me, this was the perfect ending I always wanted to my project. I wanted to honor and thank them with this last image. The storm is not as close as it appears, but close enough :) This is one image. I had a remote timer taking half second exposures every 5 seconds. We stood very still for 5-6 frames. I was lucky enough to get this shot on the first frame! What a amazing experience."

Lightning Field by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"This supercell ended up chasing us down HWY 212 for 2 hours, starting in Boyes, Montana. The lightning field was so intense preceding the core, you would see a flash nearby and immediately hear a BOOM. Thats close! Feeling a little safer near Belle Forche, South Dakota I got out and captured a few shots. Again, all you would see is a quick flash. Amazed to look at the back of my screen to see this."

Supercell on the edge of the Badlands by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Supercell at sunset outside of Phillip, South Dakota Spring, 2012. We were on the edge of the Badlands, when this supercell was fast approaching. It was ingesting smoke from wildfires in Wyoming earlier in the day giving it this unique color. The CG and arc lightning make this one special."

Cisco Supercell Panorama by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"It took 15 multi-row images to get all this tornado producing supercell captured. This storm was unbelievably huge and powerful. This is a storm that I will not forget. Tech info: Shot with my Canon 5D Mark III using my Really Right Stuff PG-02 multi-row pano / gimbal head."

Hico Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"This tornado warned supercell was one of the best, especially one of the most beautiful storms I have seen in in my years of chasing storms. I intercepted just North of Hico, TX (N. Central Texas). It had produced a tornado just minutes to my arrival."

Morgan Mill Supercell Pano by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Intercepted this beautiful tornado warned supercell just outside of Morgans Mill, Texas last weekend. This storm put down a tornado minutes before we arrived to this point. I was waiting on it to show itself, but I had to get out fast before the core arrived. I was hearing reports of baseball sized hail, represented by the teal color in the middle of the storm. Very cool tail cloud forming on the horizon. Amazing storm!"

Throckmorton Supercell at Night by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Spent a few days on the road chasing storms in West Texas last week. One of my favorites was this tornado warned supercell outside of Throckmorton, Texas. The storm was moving very slow and putting on quite a lightning show. Was able to do a longer exposure to get some structure and more lightning!"

Nebraska Hail Core by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Amazing teal color from the hail core of a supercell outside of Mitchell, Nebraska. This storm had baseball sized hail when I captured this. The color comes from the reflectivity of the larger hail, glows teal!"

Shamrock Supercell with Mammatus by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Here is a multi-row panoramic image from a supercell west of Shamrock, Texas earlier this week. This storm was eating other storms and reorganizing before it was tornado warned once again. Found this great scene of the storm and the fantastic mammatus clouds."

Dumont Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Intercepted this supercell outside of Matador, TX. This storm was tornado warned at one time and produced baseball size hail. I have the ring in my windshield to prove it! Ended up on a farm in Dumont, TX watching this beautiful scene. What a storm!"

Odell Supercell Panoramic by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Beautiful structure with this tornado producing supercell we intercepted Saturday afternoon outside of Odell, Texas. This storm had one of the most pronounced radar hooks I have seen in a while, it did drop a tornado 15 mins after this shot. Debris on the road and poor road network around the Red River kept us from going too much further, we had to turn around and head to another storm. This is a 12 image panoramic using the new pano merge feature in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, finished in Photoshop CC."

Hico Panoramic Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Here is another version of the Hico Supercell. I have been shooting panoramic images of storm this year. I like the whole story they tell. There is always so much more to see. I intercepted this supercell outside of Hico, Texas. It was tornado warned at the time and had one of the most beautiful mesocyclones I have ever seen. This image is 14 images stitched together in Adobe Photoshop CC."

Shelf Cloud Sunset by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Intercepted this amazing supercell near McConaughy Lake, outside of Ogallala, NE. Amazing color, lightning, shelf feature on this supercell. I love the lightning striking next to the sun which is barely visible by rain and hail."

Kingfisher Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Panoramic version of one of my favorite storms. Captured outside of Kingfisher, Oklahoma. As you can see, we were very close. Looking into this storm was amazing. The color and contrast was surreal."

Supercell Panorama by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Supercell at Sunset just North of Dodge City, Kansas today. The colors, structure and the scene was just surreal. This is a 15 image panorama, showing just how incredible this storm was."

Hilton Head Shelf Cloud by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Storms visited us almost every night while on vacation with my family last summer on Hilton Head Island, SC. This one in particular really surprised me. I captured this image about 11pm at night standing on the Beach. A long shelf cloud was coming my way, with powerful lightning all around lighting up the sky making it look like day time!"

Alone With Kansas Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"I intercepted this supercell just south of Ness City, Kansas after driving up 6 hours from Dallas. This was a happy sight! The storm was rotating hard and very cool to watch. I drove toward it for another mile, pulled off to get this shot, then to let it go by! Then started chasing it again. One of my favorites!"

After Sunset Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Captured this approaching supercell during the blue hour after sunset outside of Yuma, Colorado. The wall cloud was fast approaching and the high wind and rain was making this shot difficult. Good times though. Love the colors of this one."

Edge of a Badlands Storm by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"This image is from one of my favorite storm chases ever. On the edge of the Badlands in Philip, South Dakota. It was one of those days where everything came together when you thought that was the last thing that would happen. The storm was not looking particularly good, there was smoke everywhere from fires in Colorado. The colors just exploded at sunset. The smoke acted like a giant soft box. We found a beautiful spot to watch this storm move in. By this time, it had beautiful structure. I love it when everything comes together!"

Panoramic Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Intercepted this beautiful tornado warned supercell outside of Robert Lee, Texas on Memorial Day last Spring. Found this great view overlooking the valley. Set up on top of my Tahoe to get a even better view for a panoramic shot. Notice the intense teal color in the middle, this is called the hail core. This storm produced baseball sized hail! This is 18 images stitched together in PTGui Pro and finished in Adobe Photoshop CS6."

Courtney, Oklahoma Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Courtney, Oklahoma supercell at sunset. This tornado warned storm highlights its dynamic structure, complete with a large bell shaped mesocyclone and inflow band. I love the lightning striking and returning through the inflow band. This storm chased us down this tiny road not long after this shot. One of my favorites from last Spring."

Watching the Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"My friend, Bill Reid was watching the rotation of the supercell and wondering which direction will it go? will the rotation tighten? is this one worth our time? It was. We chased this supercell around the Ness City, Kansas for a hour or so. Was one of the best storms I have seen at sunset. Definitely worth the time of a skilled forecaster."

Throckmorton Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"We were doing all we could to get away from this amazing supercell. Stopping every few miles to get a shot, it kept getting bigger and bigger. I was having problems with the glow from the town of Throckmorton, Texas, the poor town under this beast. I wanted to do a longer exposure to capture lightning and then, boom, lightning strike knocked out the power to the town! Problem solved. Then the car started to drive by. I still don't understand why this car was driving INTO this supercell, but glad they did. I help down the shutter until they got to the top of the hill and lightning struck again. We ended up chasing this storm for another hour to capture lightning. What a amazing night in West Texas!"

Big Spring Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Intercepted this beautiful tornado warned supercell outside of Big Spring, Texas last Spring. Found this great view with no one around to watch this beast move towards us. Amazing to watch all of the layers rotating in different directions. This storm did produce baseball size hail and a brief embedded tornado. I love chasing storms in West Texas."

Courtney Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Courtney, Oklahoma supercell at sunset. This tornado warned storm highlights its dynamic structure, complete with a large bell shaped mesocyclone and inflow band. 15 images stiched together using PTGui pro."

Leading Edge by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"This was the leading edge of a very ominous severe warned storm just outside of Herndon, Kansas. I love the shelf feature and the contrast between sides."

Ogallala Nebraska Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Amazing view of a supercell that started to line out and merge with another storm at sunset, it had a impressive shelf cloud. This was one of the best storms I chased earlier this year. Captured outside of Ogallala, Nebraska"

Springfield Colorado Supercell V2 by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Redo of one of my favorite storm chasing images from Springfield, Colorado using luminosity masks within Photoshop CC to bring out detail from the RAW image. I think it represents the scene more realistically. Originally processed as a HDR image using 5 different exposures. I like the new version much better."

Pine Haven, Wyoming Panoramic Supercell by Kelly DeLay on 500px.com
"Here is a 12 image panorama of a amazing supercell moving towards our location in Pine Haven, Wyoming. This was part of my storm chasing collaboration with Von Wong. We were trying to get to Devils Tower a few miles away, but I didn't want to risk getting ran over from this tornado warned storm. This was one of the best storms of the trip. I hope you enjoy, please let me know what you think! Meta: 12 images shot RAW with my Canon 5D Mark III at 24mm with my RRS PG-02 Pano / Gimbal head. Stitched together in Lightroom CC 2015 and finished in Photoshop CC 2015."


 Photography and text by
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Ansteyline. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig